Updated December 21, 2012
Stoneybrooke Christian Schools - Grade Level Overview
- Bible: Emphasis is on the life of Jesus Christ and church doctrine. The teachings of God’s Word will be incorporated into each subject matter as students learn to apply Biblical truths to real life meaning. Students will also learn Christian character traits and memorize Bible verses.
- Chapel: Emphasis is on students’ involvement in a weekly worship environment with exposure to Biblical principles and application of those principles to daily life.
- Reading: Emphasis is on reading various forms of literature and recognizing author’s purpose and design for writing. Students will be taught the structural analysis for word decoding to include suffixes/prefixes, roots, context clues, and combining word forms. Students participate in the Accelerated Reader program.
- Language Arts/Writing: Emphasis is on clearly and correctly expressing themselves in all forms of writing including creative writing, reports and letter writing with proper multiple paragraph structure. Students will write expository and narrative paragraphs, writing and editing four paragraph essays with clear main ideas and details. Students will write from prompts and organize their ideas using a web.
- Mathematics: Emphasis is on basic mathematical functions and problem solving in the areas of addition, subtraction, and multiplication, and division of whole numbers and fractions, Roman numerals, geometry, graphs, averaging and measurement.
- Social Studies: Emphasis is on an in depth study of the state of California. Major historical characters are presented from the Westward Movement to present day California. Students will compile a comprehensive, chronological research report which includes important events in the history of California. Students will also choose a California Mission to research, complete a written report, and present a project of their choice (Power Point, scrapbook, or model).
- Science: Emphasis is on exploring and experiencing a variety of areas within the field of science, including health, life, physical, and earth science, through the use of reading, research, discussion, group participation, individual projects, and scientific lab activities.
- Penmanship: Emphasis is on correct cursive letter formation and self-evaluation.
- Physical Education: Emphasis is on team sports and dance education, health fitness building, and strength and flexibility conditioning.
- Music: Emphasis is on exploring music through regular use of rhythm instruments, Orff instruments, singing various songs with solfege, movement and participation in an annual musical, and playing Hand Chimes and recorders.
- Computer: Emphasis is on introducing and reviewing basic computer hardware terms, practicing touch typing and keyboarding, and introducing basic word processing skills, graphic skills, and drawing tools. Students will use the Internet extensively for research projects.
- Library: Emphasis is on developing research skills, utilizing the library and its resources and locating information to support areas of study in the classroom.
- Art: Emphasis is on providing opportunities for creativity and self-expression while incorporating the activities to compliment various curricular subjects. Students participate in the Meet the Masters art program, learning about different artists, styles and techniques.
- Classroom Missions Project
- Field Trips
- Musical Concert
- Chapel presentation
- Speech Meet
- Spelling Bee
- Math Olympics
- Gold Rush Day
- Spring Trip to Sacramento
- Reading: SRA Imagine It, Core Literature Novels
- Language Arts: SRA
- Writing: WriteReflections
- Spelling: SRA
- Math: A Beka
- Bible: Purposeful Design, ACSI
- Social Studies: Houghton Mifflin California Studies
- Science: A Beka
- Physical Education: Physical Education 3-5, by Zuidema, CSI
- Music: Kodaly Context by Lois Chosky; Kindermusik curriculum; Alfred Publishing (Meet the Great Composers, Let's Have a Musical Rhythm Band); Kimbo Educational Rhythm Band; Music for Children, Orff Schulwerk; Recorder Karate, Plank Publishing.
- Computer: Microsoft Office, Internet, Type to Learn
- Teacher/Student Ratio: 26 to 1 (with a part-time Teacher’s Aide)
- School Day: 8:30 am – 3:00 pm (full day)
- Morning Recess: 15 minutes
- Lunch/Recess: 40 minutes
- Classroom Structure: Core subjects taught by the classroom teacher
- Enrichment Subjects: Music, P.E., Art, Technology