Updated December 21, 2012
Stoneybrooke Christian Schools - Grade Level Overview
- Bible: This Bible series focuses on the foundational teachings from the Bible about the nature and character of God, the qualities of His people, and His church. Students are given an overview of the Bible, with an emphasis on God's attributes, biblical characters, the early Church, and what it means to know Jesus Christ and live for Him. Students will learn Christian character traits and memorize Bible verses.
- Chapel: Emphasis is on students’ involvement in a weekly worship environment with exposure to Biblical principles and application of those principles to daily life.
- Reading: Emphasis is on sight word recognition, vocabulary development, structural analysis, the use of context, and various types of comprehension strategies such as context clues, predicting outcomes, and recognizing main ideas and detail. Students participate in the Accelerated Reader program.
- Language Arts/Writing: Grammatical skills are taught and incorporated into students’ writing. Students will write expository and narrative paragraphs, writing and editing three paragraph essays with clear main ideas and details. Students will write from prompts and organize their ideas using a web. Skills are integrated into creative and report writing. Additionally, students will learn to write a variety of genres including but not limited to biographies and persuasive essays.
- Mathematics: Emphasis is on basic mathematical functions and problem solving in the areas of addition, subtraction, and multiplication, and division.
- Social Studies: Emphasis is on the growing pains of the new nation from the Constitutional Convention through the Civil War and the westward expansion. Students study celebrations and traditions, the transcontinental railroad, ranchers, cowboys, and outlaws of the Wild West.
- Science: Emphasis is on exploring and experiencing a variety of areas within the field of life science and health through the use of reading, research, discussion, and lab activities. Students learn about themselves, the plant world, vertebrates and invertebrates, geographical regions, and the weather.
- Penmanship: Emphasis is on maintenance and improvement of handwriting skills in both printing and cursive writing.
- Physical Education: Emphasis is creative play, strength and flexibility building.
- Music: Emphasis is on exploring music through regular use of rhythm instruments, Orff instruments, singing various songs with solfege, movement, and participation in an annual musical.
- Computer: Emphasis is on introducing basic computer and hardware terms, a review of drawing tools, and learning to research create, copy and paste from one document to another. Students create more complex slides which, with instructor’s help, will be turned into Power Point presentations.
- Library: Emphasis is on expanding independent use of the library, a basic understanding of the Dewey Decimal System, and an introduction to use of the card catalog.
- Art: Emphasis is on providing opportunities to display individual creativity and self-expression through the use of various art forms. Students participate in the Meet the Masters art program, learning about different artists, styles and techniques.
- Classroom Missions Project
- Field Trips
- Musical Concert
- Chapel presentation
- Speech Meet
- Spelling Bee
- Math Olympics
- Spring Trip to Rawhide Ranch
- Reading: SRA Imagine It
- Language Arts: SRA
- Writing: WriteReflections
- Spelling: SRA
- Math: Harcourt Math, CA edition
- Bible: Purposeful Design, ACSI
- Social Studies: BJU Press
- Science: A Beka
- Penmanship: Zaner-Bloser
- Physical Education: Physical Education 3-5, by Zuidema, CSI
- Music: Kodaly Context by Lois Chosky; Kindermusik curriculum; Alfred Publishing (Meet the Great Composers, Let's Have a Musical Rhythm Band); Kimbo Educational Rhythm Band; Music for Children, Orff Schulwerk
- Computer: Microsoft Office, Internet
- Teacher/Student Ratio: 26 to 1 (with a part-time Teacher’s Aide)
- School Day: 8:30 am – 3:00 pm (full day)
- Morning Recess: 15 minutes
- Lunch/Recess: 40 minutes
- Classroom Structure: Core subjects taught by the classroom teacher
- Enrichment Subjects: Music, P.E., Art, Technology