Updated December 21, 2012
Stoneybrooke Christian Schools - Grade Level Overview
- Bible: This Bible series focuses on the foundational teachings from the Bible about the nature and character of God, the qualities of His people, and His church. Students are given an overview of the Bible, with an emphasis on God's attributes, biblical characters, the early Church, and what it means to know Jesus Christ and live for Him.
- Chapel: Emphasis is on students’ involvement in a weekly worship environment with exposure to Biblical principles and application of those principles to daily life.
- Reading: Emphasis is on developing basic skills including phonics, comprehension, word attack, vocabulary, recall, inferences, and application. Students read a collection of classic and contemporary literature and are exposed to various genres. Students participate in the Accelerated Reader program.
- Language Arts: Emphasis is on improving communication, listening, and vocabulary skills, both in written and oral form. They will learn language usage, sentence writing, and basic punctuation skills. There is also an emphasis on writing expository and narrative paragraphs. Students will learn to write a five sentence paragraph with a beginning sentence, supporting details, and concluding sentence. Students will learn to write from prompts and organize their ideas using a web.
- Mathematics: Emphasis is on basic mathematical functions and problem solving in the areas of addition, subtraction, patterns, place value, measurement, fractions, time, and money.
- Social Studies: Emphasis is on instilling a respect for our great country, its freedoms and patriotic symbols. Students follow the events in the New World from pre-Columbus days through the late 1600's. Students learn about Plymouth Plantation, trading, the practices and culture of Native Americans, and homes and families of the time.
- Science: Emphasis is on studying the wonders of God’s creation, through earth, life, and physical science. Students also participate in hands-on activities in the science lab.
- Penmanship: Emphasis is on teaching and improving student communication through the written word and practicing correct letter formation.
- Physical Education: Emphasis is on developing fundamental skills, exploring fitness awareness, and increased understanding of movement through observation, practice, and game play. Students are motivated to care for their bodies and to be courteous and develop good health and safety habits.
- Music: Emphasis is on exploring music through regular use of rhythm instruments, Orff instruments, singing various songs, and movement.
- Computer: Emphasis is on introduction to computer terminology, keyboard familiarization, mouse skills, eye-hand coordination and writing, illustrating, and saving work.
- Library: Emphasis is on introducing the various forms of information found in the library and becoming familiar with the process of locating and borrowing books appropriate to their level.
- Art: Emphasis is on learning that we can use our artistic gifts and abilities for God’s glory. Students participate in the Meet the Masters art program, learning about different artists, styles and techniques and displaying their own creativity and self-expression through art projects.
- Classroom Missions Project
- Field Trips
- Musical Concert
- Chapel Presentation
- Speech Meet
- Spelling Bee
- Reading: SRA - Imagine It
- Language Arts: SRA
- Writing: WriteReflections
- Spelling: SRA
- Math: Harcourt Math, CA edition
- Bible: Purposeful Design, ACSI
- Social Studies: A Beka, BJU Press
- Science: A Beka
- Penmanship: Zaner-Bloser
- Physical Education:Physical Education K-2, Zuidema, CSI
- Music: Kodaly Context by Lois Chosky; Kindermusik curriculum; Alfred Publishing (Meet the Great Composers, Let?s Have a Musical Rhythm Band); Kimbo Educational Rhythm Band; Music for Children, Orff Schulwerk
- Computer: Kid Pix, Dance Mat Typing, Microsoft PowerPoint
- Teacher/Student Ratio: 26 to 1 (with a part-time Teacher’s Aide)
- School Day: 8:30 am – 3:00 pm (full day)
- Morning Recess: 15 minutes
- Lunch/Recess: 40 minutes
- Classroom Structure: Core subjects taught by the classroom teacher
- Enrichment Subjects: Music, P.E., Art, Technology