Updated December 21, 2012
Stoneybrooke Christian Schools - Grade Level Overview
- Bible: Emphasis is on giving students not only an intellectual knowledge of the major doctrines of the Bible, but to reinforce these truths making faith their own and knowing what and why they believe. Students will also learn Christian character traits and memorize Bible passages.
- Chapel: Emphasis is on students’ involvement in a weekly worship environment with exposure to Biblical principles and application of those principles to daily life.
- Reading: Emphasis is on decoding skills, vocabulary development, comprehension skills, thinking strategies, literature components, and study skills. Students read from six genres for book reports and participate in the Accelerated Reader program.
- Language Arts/Writing: Emphasis is on proper use of punctuation, capitalization and the eight parts of speech through written and verbal composition.
- Mathematics: Emphasis is on basic mathematical functions, notation, numeration, addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of whole numbers, decimals, and fractions; finding circumference; area of geometric shapes; using a protractor and compass to bisect angles; reading and assimilating information from various graphs, solving equations; converting temperatures; working with time zones; and learning the principles of banking.
- Social Studies: Emphasis is on the geography, peoples, and cultures of ancient civilizations. Students learn about the history of Egypt, Israel, China, Greece, Africa, the Mayas, Roman world, and the Middle Ages.
- Science: Emphasis is on the universe as the direct creation of God and refutes the theory of evolution. Topics include magnetism, volcanoes, earthquakes, formation of rocks, constellations, introduction to periodic chart, and health systems of the body. Students participate in the science lab twice monthly.
- Physical Education: Emphasis is on building fitness health, developing team sports tactics and strategies, exploring dance and creative movement, increasing fitness and sport intellect, and cultivating sportsmanship and fitness decisions.
- Music: Emphasis is on exploring music through regular use of rhythm instruments, Orff instruments, singing various songs with solfege, movement and participation in an annual musical, and playing Hand Chimes, note reading, and exploring history of music.
- Computer: Emphasis is on intermediate skills in word processing, introduction to spreadsheets, graphs, and table, and review of touch typing skills. Students will produce a multimedia project.
- Library: Emphasis is on review of library and information skills for classroom research assignments.
- Art: Emphasis is on providing opportunities for creativity and self-expression while incorporating the activities to compliment various curricular subjects. Students participate in the Meet the Masters art program, learning about different artists, styles and techniques.
- Classroom Missions Project
- Field Trips
- Musical Concert
- Chapel presentation
- Speech Meet
- Spelling Bee
- Math Olympics
- Spring Trip to Astrocamp
- Reading: SRA Imagine It, Core Literature Novels
- Language Arts: SRA
- Spelling: SRA
- Math: A Beka
- Bible: Teaching the Word of Truth by Barnhouse
- Social Studies: BJU Press
- Science: A Beka
- Physical Education: Physical Education 6-8, by Zuidema, CSI
- Music: Kodaly Context by Lois Chosky; Kindermusik curriculum; Alfred Publishing (Meet the Great Composers; Music for Children, Orff Schulwerk; Begin to Ring; Ready to Ring
- Computer: Microsoft Office, Internet, Type to Learn
- Teacher/Student Ratio: 26 to 1 (with a part-time Teacher’s Aide)
- School Day: 8:30 am – 3:00 pm (full day)
- Morning Recess: 15 minutes
- Lunch/Recess: 40 minutes
- Classroom Structure: Core subjects taught by the classroom teacher
- Enrichment Subjects: Music, P.E., Technology