Updated December 21, 2012
Stoneybrooke Christian Schools - Grade Level Overview
- Bible: This Bible series focuses on the foundational teachings from the Bible about the nature and character of God, the qualities of His people, and His church. Students are given an overview of the Bible, with an emphasis on God's attributes, biblical characters, the early Church, and what it means to know Jesus Christ and live for Him. Students will learn and apply Christian character traits and memorize Bible passages.
- Chapel: Emphasis is on students’ involvement in a weekly worship environment with exposure to Biblical principles and application of those principles to daily life.
- Reading: Emphasis is on grade level proficiency for reading fluency, comprehension, vocabulary, and skills. Students participate in the Accelerated Reader program.
- Language Arts/Writing: Emphasis is on practicing skills learned regarding sentence structure and major parts of speech and applying those skills to the writing process. Students will write expository and narrative paragraphs, writing and editing five paragraph essays with clear main ideas, details, and conclusions. Students will write from prompts and organize their ideas using a web.
- Mathematics: Emphasis is on basic mathematical functions and problem solving in the areas of addition, subtraction, and multiplication, and division of whole numbers, decimals, fractions, geometry, and measurement.
- Social Studies: Emphasis is on the study of the United States, struggles and accomplishments of American enterprise from the early 1900s to the final years of the century. Major research projects include a report on an Explorer (done as a small group project) and an individual report on a state of the student’s choice. In depth study of the American Revolution and both First and Second World Wars are major focal points.
- Science: Emphasis is on exploring and experiencing a variety of areas within the field of science through the use of reading, research, discussion, group participation, individual projects, and utilization of the scientific research process and experiments. Topics include nature, mammals, ocean life, vertebrates, energy, astronomy, and health. Students participate in the science lab twice monthly.
- Physical Education: Emphasis is on team sports, creative movement expression, fitness building, and sharing and caring through teamwork.
- Music: Emphasis is on exploring music through regular use of rhythm instruments, Orff instruments, singing various songs with solfege, movement and participation in an annual musical, and playing Hand Chimes, note reading, and exploring history of music.
- Computer: Emphasis is on intermediate skills in word processing, introduction to spreadsheets, graphs, and table, and review of touch typing skills. Students will produce a multimedia project.
- Library: Emphasis is on utilizing the library to research topics in curricular subjects as well as recreational reading.
- Art: Emphasis is on providing opportunities for creativity and self-expression while incorporating the activities to compliment various curricular subjects. Students participate in the Meet the Masters art program, learning about different artists, styles and techniques.
- Classroom Missions Project
- Field Trips
- Musical Concert
- Chapel presentation
- Speech Meet
- Spelling Bee
- Math Olympics
- Spring Trip to Catalina
- Reading: SRA Imagine It, Core Literature Novels
- Language Arts: SRA
- Writing: WriteReflections, SRA
- Spelling: SRA
- Math: A Beka
- Bible: Purposeful Design, ACSI
- Social Studies: BJU Press
- Science: A Beka
- Physical Education: Physical Education 3-5, by Zuidema, CSI
- Music: Kodaly Context by Lois Chosky; Kindermusik curriculum; Alfred Publishing (Meet the Great Composers; Music for Children, Orff Schulwerk; Begin to Ring; Ready to Ring
- Computer: Microsoft Office, Internet, Type to Learn
- Teacher/Student Ratio: 26 to 1 (with a part-time Teacher’s Aide)
- School Day: 8:30 am – 3:00 pm (full day)
- Morning Recess: 15 minutes
- Lunch/Recess: 40 minutes
- Classroom Structure: Core subjects taught by the classroom teacher
- Enrichment Subjects: Music, P.E., Art, Technology