Updated December 21, 2012
Stoneybrooke Christian Schools - Grade Level Overview
- Bible: This Bible series focuses on the foundational teachings from the Bible about the nature and character of God, the qualities of His people, and His church. Students are given an overview of the Bible, with an emphasis on God's attributes, biblical characters, the early Church, and what it means to know Jesus Christ and live for Him.
- Chapel: Emphasis is on students' involvement in a weekly worship environment with exposure to biblical principles and application of those principles to daily life.
- Reading: Emphasis is on developing reading fluency, word attack skills, phonetic decoding skills, increased vocabulary, story analysis, and characterization. Students participate in the Accelerated Reader program.
- Language Arts/Writing: Emphasis is on developing writing fluency, grammar, sentence structure and written expression. Students will learn to write expository and narrative paragraphs, writing two paragraph essays with clear main ideas and details. Students will write from prompts and organize their ideas using a web.
- Mathematics: Emphasis is on basic mathematical functions and problem solving in the areas of addition, subtraction, and multiplication. Money, time, and geometric shapes are also emphasized.
- Social Studies: Emphasis is on the founding of the United States from Jamestown through the War for Independence. Students will also study the Colonial era in addition to kings and queens.
- Science: Emphasis is on exploring and experiencing a variety of areas within the field of science and health including good health habits, manners, safety, the plant world, the animal world, physical science, and nutrition. Students also participate in hands-on activities in the classroom as well as in the science lab.
- Penmanship: Emphasis is on teaching correct letter formation in both printing and cursive writing.
- Physical Education: Emphasis is on acquiring proficiency in motor abilities through practice and play, understanding the importance of physical fitness through regular participation, and understanding the importance of exhibiting integrity through discussion, review, role models, and game play.
- Music: Emphasis is on exploring music through regular use of rhythm instruments, Orff instruments, singing various songs, and movement.
- Computer: Emphasis is on introducing basic computer and hardware terms as well as the drawing tools and other features included in the drawing software program. Students create a slide presentation with instructor's help and are introduced to Power Point.
- Library: Emphasis is on continuing to develop library skills while experiencing a wide variety of books and various forms of literature. Students will use the fiction and nonfiction sections of the library with focus on selection of materials for independent reading.
- Art: Emphasis is on stimulating creative and critical thinking skills and providing opportunities to display individual creativity and self-expression through various art forms. Students participate in the Meet the Masters art program, learning about different artists, styles and techniques.
- Classroom Missions Project
- Field Trips
- Musical Concert
- Chapel Presentation
- Speech Meet
- Spelling Bee
- Spring Trip to Rawhide Ranch
- Reading: SRA - Imagine It
- Language Arts: SRA
- Writing: WriteReflections
- Spelling: SRA
- Math: Harcourt Math, CA edition
- Bible: Purposeful Design, ACSI
- Social Studies: BJU Press
- Science: A Beka
- Penmanship: Zaner-Bloser
- Physical Education:Physical Education K-2, Zuidema, CSI
- Music: Kodaly Context by Lois Chosky; Kindermusik curriculum; Alfred Publishing (Meet the Great Composers, Let's Have a Musical Rhythm Band); Kimbo Educational Rhythm Band; Music for Children, Orff Schulwerk
- Computer: Kid Pix, Microsoft Office, Internet
- Teacher/Student Ratio: 26 to 1 (with a part-time Teacher’s Aide)
- School Day: 8:30 am – 3:00 pm (full day)
- Morning Recess: 15 minutes
- Lunch/Recess: 40 minutes
- Classroom Structure: Core subjects taught by the classroom teacher
- Enrichment Subjects: Music, P.E., Art, Technology